Dive Safety Officer (DSO)
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium is seeking a full-time Dive Safety Officer (DSO). The DSO is responsible for the development, implementation, training, and maintenance of all dive activities associated with LUMCON. The DSO will work under the authority and direction of the LUMCON Marine Superintendent, and the Dive Control Board. This position provides the principal technical expertise, assistance, and training on a wide range of disciplines necessary to conduct advanced underwater research or academic investigations safely and efficiently and to assist scientists in accomplishing specific research goals and objectives. This job requires a highly organized and motivated individual with strong communication and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will serve by proxy as LUMCON’s emissary for the community, both academic and public.
Candidates should have a professional knowledge of underwater scientific diving methods and techniques; scientific and technical methods used to conduct research or accomplish various mission objectives; related technology, instruments and equipment; safe scientific diving procedures, practices and standards; scientific diving history; and relevant health and safety regulations. Candidate should have demonstrated experience in teaching courses in basic scuba diving, AAUS required skills, as well as advanced scientific diving skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in marine or related science
- Three years of proven relevant experience with references
- Current Certification as a diving instructor by a nationally recognized agency
- Current Certification as an AAUS instructor
- Proficiency in dive gear and equipment repair and maintenance
- Able to pass a SCUBA dive physical, pre-employment drug screen, and background check
- Ability to serve as working diver, lead diver, dive supervisor, and/or mission coordinator
- Ability to establish and maintain various record keeping systems.
- Ability to communicate with scientists, academic administrators, mission team members, vendors and the general public
- Knowledge and capability to ensure the adherence to appropriate procedures for using and maintaining equipment or technical instruments associated with scientific diving operations to meet industry standards in a safe, efficient and effective manner.
- Ability to teach courses in scuba diving to a variety of students
- Serve as a member of the Dive Control Board
- Prepare and manage a Dive Safety Manual specific to LUMCON
- Execute research protocols in accordance with input from scientists for dive operations
- Develop and Implement relevant dive courses including First-Aid, CPR, and scuba diving for employees, university faculty and students, and the public
- Coordinate & Perform Scientific Dives with a high degree of confidence through communication with scientists and vessel crews
- Complete appropriate documentation, logs, inventory, and reports
- Operate and maintain equipment and instrumentation used in support of diving and in support of the underwater projects
- Manage a the dive operations budget and seek out new opportunities for revenue and fiscal independence
- Provide counsel for practices and procedures with regard to federal and state regulations
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate a strong commitment to the consistent application of all LUMCON’s policies as well as compliance with all relevant state and federal laws related to workplace safety laws.
The DSO will be responsible for developing and facilitating a variety of trainings related to the LUMCON dive operations programs. Candidates should have a minimum of 1 year experience conducting trainings. This person should have a strong ability to communicate and lead students through a variety of content lectures and hands-on skill-based activities. The DSO will be responsible for providing training and courses including Open Water Certification, AAUS certification trainings/dive trips, advance scientific diving techniques, and First Aid/CPR training.
Duration and Start Date:
- The position is available immediately. This is a permanent appointment.
The position will be based at the DeFelice Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA.
- A letter of interest, curriculum vitae and three relevant references to Joseph Malbrough, Marine Superintendent LUMCON (email@example.com).
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
LUMCON is an AA/EO employer.