R/V PELICAN First Mate/Relief Captain
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled
Description of Job:
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) located in Cocodrie, Louisiana operates a 116 ft. oceanographic research vessel, R/V Pelican, and is currently accepting applications for a First Mate. The vessel is home ported at the LUMCON facility in Cocodrie, LA. The First Mate is under general supervision of ship’s captain, perform various functions pertaining to operation and maintenance of the vessel, waterfront maintenance, field work and related lab research projects and serve as relief captain as needed.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist captain in operation of the vessel including: steering; maneuvering; electronic, visual piloting and navigation using advanced technology; cargo handling and storage; handling lines, docking and undocking; use of deck machinery; checking for water-tightness and normal machinery operation; launching and operating ship’s small vessel.
2. Operate ship’s radio, radar, depth sounders, on-board computer-based acquisition system and/or other appropriate equipment and advanced technology, as required.
3. Supervise scuba activities.
4. Perform various vessel maintenance activities including deck and equipment repairs; cleaning, painting, and lubricating deck machinery, blocks, tackle, and other painted surfaces; making periodic checks on various equipment.
5. Perform various waterfront maintenance tasks including dock cleaning and maintenance.
6. Assist in fieldwork sampling activities including oceanographic research work and repair of sampling equipment.
7. Participate in ongoing research projects as necessary.
8. Serve as relief captain, as required, including supervising other crewmembers and scientists, providing indoctrination and safety instruction and drills.
9. Perform related duties, as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
1. High school graduation and three years of experience in vessel operations.
2. USCG Operator’s license, Master/Near Coastal.
3. Experience and knowledge of coastal waters between South Florida and South Texas
4. Qualifications to supervise scuba diving from vessel.
5. Supervisory skills.
6. Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job including heavy lifting with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
7. Must live within a 1.5 hour drive from LUMCON dock in Cocodrie, LA.
8. Ability to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment, as necessary.
9. Must pass drug and alcohol screening tests as mandated by Department of Transportation agency regulations.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
1. Courses or degree in Marine Sciences or related field.
***The position requires extended periods of time at sea.
1.Hourly rate of $17.00 (40 hours per week)
2. Overtime rate of 1:1.5 (up to 44 hours per week)
3. Sea pay rate of $80 per chartered day at sea.
4. 8 hours per day at dock and 12 hours per day at sea. Vessel averages 175 days at sea per year. Maintenance periods may require 12 hours per day.
5. Benefits package available
Address your cover letter and resume to:
Marine Superintendent, Vessel Operations
8124 Hwy. 56, Chauvin, LA 70344 USA
Fax: (985) 851-2863
LUMCON is an AA/EO employer.