Vessel Operations Able-Bodied Seaman
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled
Description of Job:
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) located in Cocodrie, LA, operates the oceanographic research vessels R/V Pelican, R/V Point Sur and R/V Acadiana is currently accepting applications for a USCG licensed Able-Bodied Seaman. Vessels are home ported at the LUMCON facility in Cocodrie, LA. and the R/V Point Sur, Gulfport, MS. The AB Seaman is under general supervision of ship’s captain, perform various functions pertaining to operation and maintenance of the vessel, waterfront maintenance, field work and related lab research projects and serve as wheelman as needed.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist Captain/First Mate in operation of the vessel including: steering; maneuvering; electronic, visual piloting and navigation using advanced technology; cargo handling and storage; handling lines, docking and undocking; use of deck machinery including winches, cranes and davits; checking for water‐ tightness and normal machinery operation; launching and operating ship’s small vessel.
2. Operate ship’s radio, radar, depth sounders, on‐board computer‐based acquisition system and/or other appropriate equipment and advanced technology, as required.
3. Perform various vessel maintenance activities including deck and equipment repairs; cleaning, painting, and lubricating deck machinery, blocks, tackle, and other painted surfaces; making periodic checks on various equipment.
4. Perform cleaning and sanitation duties including laundry and garbage removal.
5. Perform various waterfront maintenance tasks including dock cleaning and maintenance.
6. Assist in fieldwork sampling activities including oceanographic research work and repair of sampling equipment.
7. Participate in ongoing research projects as necessary.
8. Perform related duties, as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
1. High school graduation and three years of experience in vessel operations.
2. USCG Licensed AB with STCW95.
3. Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job including heavy lifting with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
4. Must live within a 2-hour drive from LUMCON dock in Cocodrie, LA.
5. Ability to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment, as necessary.
6. Must pass drug and alcohol screening tests as mandated by Department of Transportation agency regulations.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
1. Courses or degree in Marine Sciences or related field.
***The position requires extended periods of time at sea. Compensation:
1. Hourly rate of $13.00 (40 hours per week)
2. Overtime rate of 1:1.5 (up to 44 hours per week)
3. Sea pay rate of $60 per chartered day at sea.
4. 8 hours per day at dock and 12 hours per day at sea. Vessel averages 175 days at sea per year. Maintenance periods may require 12 hours per day.
5. Benefits package available
Address your cover letter and resume to:
Marine Superintendent, Vessel Operations 8124 Hwy. 56, Chauvin, LA 70344 USA
firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: (985) 851‐2863
LUMCON is an AA/EO employer.