Vessel Operations Chef/Cook
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled
Description of Job:
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) located in Cocodrie, LA, operates the oceanographic research vessels R/V Pelican, R/V Point Sur and R/V Acadiana is currently accepting applications for a USCG licensed Ordinary Seaman (OS)-Food Service/Steward’s Department, cook. Vessels are homeported at the LUMCON facility in Cocodrie, LA. and the R/V Point Sur, Gulfport, MS. The OS is under general supervision of ship’s captain and is responsible for all galley purchasing and planning and cooking of meals for vessel crew and scientist.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. The Chef/cook is responsible for all galley purchases, planning and cooking meals for the crew, science parties, and visitors aboard LUMCON Vessels.
2. Provide additional menus for any special food needs, vegetarians, diabetics etc.
3. When called for, the chef will provide meals on vessel visiting VIPs and dignitaries, at her homeport and during goodwill visits when the vessel is away from her docks at the marine institute.
4. The chef will provide meals, which include breakfast, lunch and dinner, for up to, and sometimes exceeding 24 persons.
5. Perform cleaning and sanitation duties including laundry and garbage removal.
6. Perform related duties, as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
1. High school graduation and three years of experience cooking aboard an active vessel.
2. USCG Licensed Ordinary Seaman with STCW95 and food service/steward endorsement.
3. Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job including heavy lifting with exposure to inclement weather conditions.
4. Must live within a 2-hour drive from LUMCON dock in Cocodrie, LA.
5. Ability to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment, as necessary.
6. Must pass drug and alcohol screening tests as mandated by Department of Transportation agency regulations.
***The position requires extended periods at sea. Compensation:
1. Hourly rate of $15.50 (40 hours per week)
2. Overtime rate of 1:1.5 (up to 44 hours per week)
3. Sea pay rate of $60 per chartered day at sea.
4. 8 hours per day at dock and 12 hours per day at sea. Vessel averages 175 days at sea per year. Maintenance periods may require 12 hours per day.
5. Benefits package available
Address your cover letter and resume to the Marine Superintendent:
Marine Superintendent, Vessel Operations 8124 Hwy. 56, Chauvin, LA 70344 USA
firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: (985) 851‐2863
LUMCON is an AA/EO employer.