Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled
Description of Job:
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) located in Cocodrie, Louisiana operates a 134 ft. oceanographic research vessel, the R/V Point Sur, and is currently accepting applications for an Assistant Engineer. The vessel is home ported at the Port of Gulfport, Mississippi but regularly docks in Cocodrie.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assistant Engineers assist the Chief Engineer with the safe and efficient operation of the power plants (Caterpillar D379 and 3306’s) on LUMCON’s vessels.
- Ensure the safe operation of vessels as it pertains to the mechanical functions required to perform all normal research operations.
- Ensure equipment is in top condition at all times. Responsible for the performance of preventive maintenance and repairs on all equipment including cranes, winches, HVAC systems, pumps etc.
- Provide standby for engine room emergencies while ship is underway, makes regular inspections of engine room and ability to transfer fuel and ballast water.
- Run mains and generators. Performs maintenance projects and watch standing. Operate cranes, winches and deck equipment as necessary and participates in deployment and recovery of moorings, trawls, dredges, mud gabs, mud cores, AUVs, ROVs, CTD rosettes, sediment traps, etc.
- Perform related tasks as necessary. Assists with deck and small boat operations as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- QMED, U.S.C.G. Third Assistant Engineer or DDE (Designated Duty Engineer) 1,000 hp is required. Must display proficiency in operating and maintaining a variety of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems. Must exhibit some welding and cutting skills.
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills. Must be able to work with diverse groups of people.
- Must be able to lift up to 65 lbs.
- Ability to step up three feet.
- Ability to work in hazardous marine environment and confine spaces.
- Ability to work up to three weeks continuously at sea between port calls.
- Applicant should have ability to work with a computerized maintenance system.
- Must have reliable transportation and live within driving distance (one hour) from Gulfport for daily work aboard vessel when not at sea.
***The position requires extended periods of time at sea.
Pay commensurate with experience and qualifications
Address your cover letter and resume to:
R. Ross Turlington
Port Captain, Marine Vessel Operations
8124 Hwy 56, Chauvin, LA 70344 USA
Fax: (985) 851-2863