Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) located in Cocodrie, Louisiana operates a 134 ft. oceanographic research vessel, R/V POINT SUR, and is currently accepting applications for a QMED Engineer. The vessel is home ported at the Port of Gulfport, MS. The QMED Engineer is under general supervision of ship’s captain, and direct supervision of the ship’s Chief Engineer. The successful candidate will perform various functions pertaining to operation and maintenance of the vessel, waterfront maintenance, field work and related lab research projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Chief Engineer in daily maintenance, organizing paperwork, stowing/securing equipment, oil changes, fuel transfers, loading/unloading.
- Perform various vessel maintenance activities including deck and equipment repairs; cleaning, painting, and lubricating deck machinery, blocks, tackle, and other painted surfaces; making periodic checks on various equipment.
- Perform various waterfront maintenance tasks including dock cleaning and maintenance.
- Assist in fieldwork sampling activities including oceanographic research work and repair of sampling equipment.
- Participate in ongoing research projects as necessary.
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs.
- Assist with inspection of bilge alarms, emergency and back up fire pumps, emergency generator as well as other emergency equipment.
- Managing inventory.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
- High school graduation.
- Appropriate USCG QMED endorsement.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job including heavy lifting with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
- Must live within a 2 hour drive from the Port of Gulfport, MS, or willing to relocate after a trial period. Trial period TBD at the discretion of the Captain.
- Ability to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment, as necessary.
- Must pass drug and alcohol screening tests as mandated by Department of Transportation agency regulations.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
- Courses or degree in Marine Sciences or related field.
- ***The position requires extended periods of time at sea.
Pay commensurate with experience and qualifications
Send your cover letter and resume to:
Port Captain, Marine Vessel Operations
8124 Hwy 56, Chauvin, LA 70344