Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled
The Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) is seeking to fill a full-time position within the education program. The position is based at the DeFelice Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA and LUMCON’s Blue Works facility in Houma, LA. The position is available immediately. The appointment is for a full-time position with a duration that contingent on available funding and satisfactory performance.
The role of the Marine Education Associate/Assistant is to support, facilitate, and ensure high quality experiences for all visitors of the LUMCON Marine Education Program. This includes leading field, lab, and classroom activities for a wide variety of audiences at the DeFelice Marine Center, Blue Works, and off-site field locations. The Marine Education Associate/Assistant will also be responsible for some travel to classrooms, festivals, and other community events to educate people about the goals and mission of LUMCON and cover topics about marine science and STEM. All activities should be in accordance with the LUMCON Education Mission Statement.
Our purpose is to enable the next generation of marine scientists and ocean literate citizens. We will reach this goal by providing meaningful and relevant place-base and skill-based experiences for all visitors, while aiming to have significant impacts on Louisiana’s diverse citizenry including those populations underrepresented and underserved in marine science.
The Marine Education Associate/Assistant will assist with the education and outreach programs of the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium. The Marine Education Associate/Assistant will work under the direction of the Associate Director of Education and Outreach. This position requires extensive fieldwork (including on boats), weekends, long days, and travel to various events around the state.
General Duties and Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Deliver marine science and STEM content rich and hands-on activities in a professional and grade appropriate way for a broad variety of audiences.
- Create lessons and activities which may need to be aligned with current state standards and comply with ADA standards (providing accessibility features and functionalities that allow persons with disabilities to use materials effectively).
- Ensure the safety of all visitors to the DeFelice Marine Center and Blue Works.
- Maintain a positive learning environment that supports learner engagement, and promotes mutual respect and provides supportive learning opportunities.
- Enforce all LUMCON rules and policies.
- Make sure that all classroom and lab spaces are clean and ready for anyone who may need it for other programs.
- Establish and maintain appropriate relationships with learners, staff, and community members by communicating in a tactful, courteous, and confidential manner.
- Travel and deliver educational activities at off-site events such as festivals, in-school visits, special programs.
- Chaperoning of participates during LUMCON-funded events (residential camp programs, etc).
- Assist with program development for in-person and digital programs.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and institutional committees.
- Work to develop program materials such as posters, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, binders, lesson plans, etc.
- Assist in data gathering for reports or grant progress reporting.
- Assist with display aquarium maintenance and animal husbandry.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Education and Outreach.
Knowledge and Skills:
- B.S. with teaching experience or M.S. in science with an environmental focus; marine science training preferred.
- Above average communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to work in field, lab, and classroom situations with large groups of people.
- Must be able to pass an initial background check and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Good people skills and classroom management.
- First Aid/CPR certification.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Good swimming skills.
- Good teamwork and project management skills.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
- A letter of interest, curriculum vitae and three relevant references to Murt Conover, LUMCON Associate Director of Education & Outreach (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Compensation commensurate with experience.