Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Description of Job:
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) located in Cocodrie, LA, operates the oceanographic research vessel R/V PELICAN is currently accepting applications for an Ordinary Seaman. The vessel is home-ported in Cocodrie, LA. The Ordinary Seaman is under the general supervision of the ship’s captain; performs various functions pertaining to operation and maintenance of the vessel, waterfront maintenance, fieldwork, and related lab research projects.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Captain/First Mate in the operation of the vessel including cargo handling and storage; handling lines, docking and undocking; use of deck machinery including winches, cranes, and davits; checking for water integrity and normal machinery operation; launching and operating ship’s small vessel.
- Perform various vessel maintenance activities including deck and equipment repairs; cleaning, painting, and lubricating deck machinery, blocks, tackle, and repairs to painted surfaces; making periodic checks on various equipment.
- Perform cleaning and sanitation duties throughout the vessel including laundry and garbage removal.
- Perform various waterfront maintenance tasks including dock cleaning and maintenance.
- Assist in fieldwork sampling activities including oceanographic research work and repair of sampling equipment.
- Participate in ongoing research projects as necessary.
- Perform related duties, as assigned.
- **The position requires extended periods at sea.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- High school graduation.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job including heavy lifting with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
- Must live within a daily commuting distance from Cocodrie, La.
- Ability to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment, as necessary.
- Must pass drug and alcohol screening tests as mandated by Department of Transportation agency regulations.
USCG documented with Merchant Mariners, STCW95, and TWIC Credentials
Pay commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Address your cover letter and resume to:
8124 Hwy. 56, Chauvin, LA 70344 USA
Cell (985) 855-1485