Review of applications will continue until the position is filled
The Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) is seeking to fill a full-time position within the education program. The position is based at the DeFelice Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA, and LUMCON’s Blue Works facility in Houma, LA. The appointment is for a full-time position with a duration that is contingent on available funding and satisfactory performance. The Marine Education Associate/Assistant will work under the direction of the Associate Director of Education and Outreach. The position is available immediately.
The role of the Marine Education Associate/Assistant is to support, facilitate, and ensure high-quality experiences for all visitors of the LUMCON Marine Education Program. This includes leading field, lab, and classroom activities for a wide variety of audiences at the DeFelice Marine Center. The Marine Education, Associate/Assistant, will also be responsible for some travel to classrooms, festivals, and other community events to educate people about the goals and mission of LUMCON and cover topics about marine science and STEM. All activities should be in accordance with the LUMCON Education Mission Statement.
Our purpose is to enable the next generation of marine scientists and ocean-literate citizens. We will reach this goal by providing meaningful and relevant place-based and skill-based experiences for all visitors while aiming to have significant impacts on Louisiana’s diverse citizenry including those populations underrepresented and underserved in marine science.
General Duties and Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Deliver content-rich and hands-on marine science and STEM activities in a professional and grade-appropriate way for various audiences.
- Create lessons and activities that may need to be aligned with current state science education standards and ensure accessibility features and functionalities that allow persons with disabilities to use materials effectively.
- Ensure the safety of all visitors to LUMCON facilities.
- Maintain a positive learning environment that supports learner engagement, promotes mutual respect, and provides supportive learning opportunities.
- Enforce all LUMCON rules and policies.
- Make sure that all classroom and lab spaces are clean and ready for anyone who may need them for other programs
- Establish and maintain appropriate relationships with learners, staff, and community members by communicating tactfully, courteously, and confidentially.
- Travel and deliver educational activities at off-site events such as festivals, in-school visits, special programs
- Chaperoning of participants during LUMCON-funded events (e.g., summer camps)
- Assist with program development for in-person and digital programs.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, storm readiness activities, and LUMCON special events.
- Work to develop program materials such as posters, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, binders, lesson plans, etc.
- Assist in gathering data for internal or grant reports.
- Assist with display aquarium maintenance and animal husbandry.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Education and Outreach.
- This position also requires extensive fieldwork (including on boats), weekends, long days, and occasionally holidays.
Knowledge and Skills:
- B. S. in science with education experience or M.S. in science with an environmental focus; marine science training preferred.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to work in field, lab, and classroom situations with large groups of people.
- Must be able to pass an initial background check and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Good people skills and classroom management.
- First Aid/CPR certification.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Good teamwork and project management skills.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.
- May be required to travel to area events/meetings.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Compensation commensurate with experience. The position includes state benefits