MISSION AND VISION
WELCOME FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
LUMCON’s DeFelice Marine Center is uniquely situated within the coastal landscape and is close to the gateways of the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers. But our research programs span coastal and marine systems: from the brackish Barataria Bay, across the coastal ocean and its intersection with the Mississippi River, to the open Gulf of Mexico, and in oceans all over the globe. We are proud of our research teams, the work they accomplish, and the resulting science and knowledge that are crucial to understanding, managing, and preserving coastal and marine systems.
Part of our mission is to increase society’s awareness of coastal and ocean issues important to Louisiana. Our educators provide excellent scholastic experiences for all ages to better understand the natural and human-influenced processes affecting coastal Louisiana’s landscape and resources. We train the next generation of problem solvers and researchers though undergraduate and graduate courses and research experiences.
Our facilities—Vessels, Marine Center, Field Station, Library, and Environmental Monitoring Stations—are world-class. I invite you to visit us on the web and in Cocodrie. Come be a part of LUMCON.
Craig McClain, Ph.D.
LUMCON as a consortium is a statewide academic endeavor to focus and strengthen the effectiveness of foundational marine science needed to address the environmental and socioeconomic challenges facing Louisiana and the nation.
Since 1979, LUMCON has provided unparalleled opportunities in marine science and education to the research community and public alike. Anchored by a first-rate marine laboratory, the DeFelice Marine Center, LUMCON is embedded in Louisiana’s dynamic wetland environment and conveniently located on a gateway to the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico. From this facility, LUMCON operates a world-class fleet of research vessels unmatched in the Gulf of Mexico.
To promote, facilitate, and conduct research and education collaborations among Louisiana’s universities in marine and coastal sciences relevant to the sustainability of coastal and marine environments of the Gulf of Mexico.
To maintain a national and international reputation as a leading marine research and education Consortium, and stimulate, coordinate, and facilitate scientific research among the marine science and education programs within Louisiana.
- Providing quality education at university, K-12, and public levels through partnerships with Louisiana universities and other State institutions.
- Operating at the highest standards of scientific inquiry, academic integrity, intellectual freedom, and the cooperative exchange of ideas and information.
- Creating opportunities for under-represented students in marine sciences.
- Increasing societal awareness of the environmental, economic, and cultural values of Louisiana’s coastal and marine environments.
- Maintaining unique research and education structures in terms of people, facilities and resources.