DIGITAL CONTENT AND RESOURCES
Download these activities to do at home or in the classroom.
Marine Organism Anatomy Activities
- Squid Anatomy Scramble – learn the names of external features and fun facts about squid. [academic standards]
- External Fish Anatomy – learn the terms and body parts you need to start becoming an expert in fish identification. [academic standards]
Marine Organism Activities
- Wonderfully Weird World of Sponges – Celebrate how wonderful sponges are with these activities. [academic standards]
- Plankton Activities – Explore and discover the amazing world of plankton without needing a microscope. [academic standards]
Science Method Activities
- Calculating Biodiversity – Use your math skills to investigate the species richness, species evenness, and biodiversity of a community of organisms. [academic standards]
- Trawl Sampling on the R/V Acadiana – Explore trawling as a scientific research method and the diversity of demersal and pelagic species of Terrebonne Bay by working with data collected by LUMCON over decades. [academic standards]
- Point-Intercept Transects – Learn how to measure community composition using a common transect method. [academic standards]
- Periwinkle Snail Abundance – Use transect data to investigate the Periwinkle snail population in a Cocodrie salt marsh. [academic standards]
Videos and Activities
- Ocean Depth and Pressure Video Short – Follow the journey of Styrofoam cups underwater and investigate the relationship between depth and pressure in the ocean.
- Ocean Pressure and Depth Activity – Apply math skills to determine the differences seen after a cup travels to the bottom of the ocean. [academic standards]
- Squid Chromatophore Function Video Short – Lean about the cells that allow squid to change color for camouflage and communication.
- Grass Shrimp Video Short – Learn about some of the things that make grass shrimp so cool.
- Trawling on the R/V Acadiana Video Short – Witness a sampling trip conducted by LUMCON on the R/V Acadiana.
- Great Blue Heron vs. Great Egret – This video highlights some of the differences between these two bird species.
- Meet the Giant Land Crab – This video short introduces a very reclusive species of terrestrial crabs.
Arts & Crafts
- Squid Door Hanger – Show everyone that you love squid as much as we do!
- Terrapin Coloring Page – Learn more about Diamondback Terrapins.
- Grouper Coloring Page – Can you find and identify all the prey organisms?
- Spoonbill Coloring Page – Can you find and identify all the prey organisms?
- Otter Coloring Page – Can you find and identify all the prey organisms?
- Tarpon Coloring Page – Can you find and identify all the prey organisms?
- Whale Shark Coloring Page – Can you find and identify all the prey organisms?
Games & Puzzles
- Connect the Dots – Can you identify this common Louisiana species?
- Migration Maze – Can you help a small fish migrate from the salt marsh to the Gulf of Mexico?
Activities using Online Resources
- Predicting Coastal Flooding Events – Explore the complex issue of coastal flooding at the Marine Center. Can you predict when the water will high as well as a LUMCON staff member?
- Ocean Feature Exploration – Explore features on the seafloor with Google Earth. You can submit data to be part of a massive exploration effort.
- Nature’s Speed Bumps – Explore changes to a Louisiana Barrier Island using Google Earth.
- Storm Monitoring (**Updated**) – Become a storm tracker by using the LUMCON weather cameras and the monitoring station to track the impacts of storm events at the Marine Center.
- Water Temperature vs. Substrate Color – Try this experiment to see if substrate (bottom) color has a relationship to the temperature of a body of water.
Research Vessel and Maritime Activities
- Nautical Term Activity – Learn to recognize, understand, and use some common terms used on a research vessel.
- Idioms and the Ocean – Learn about common everyday phrases have roots in maritime culture. We guarantee you’ll be “taken aback” by how fun this is!
- Nautical Flags – Learn the meaning, to recognize, and to use the flags to create messages for others.
Careers in Marine Science
- Women in Marine Science – This is a webpage featuring audio recordings of women having a conversation about their careers within marine science.
- Women in STEM Activity – This is a great activity for students looking for mentors in STEM careers including marine science.
Science Talks – STUDENT EDITIONS
- April 28, 2020 – Wonderfully Weird World of Sponges with Dr. Stephanie
- To register click this link.
360 Digital Tours
- R/V Pelican
- The DeFelice Marine Center (exterior) – Made possible by support from Chevron
- LUMCON’s Dive Locker – Made possible by support from Chevron
- Day Trip on the R/V Acadiana – Made possible by support from Chevron