Click here to search the Dispersants Bibliography
Click here to search Effects of Offshore Oil and Gas Development Bibliography
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
The LUMCON Library collection was originally housed in Ellender Memorial Library, located at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, Louisiana. After completion of the DeFelice Marine Center in 1986, the collection was moved to its present location. Since that time, the Library has become an active resource center for LUMCON faculty and staff as well as Consortium member institutions, visiting researchers, students, and the public.
The library contains a computer lab and several study spaces available to visiting students, scientists, or groups (such as attendees of a writing retreat).
The collection and development of library materials reflects LUMCON’s research programs. The collection has approximately:
- 4,600 monographs
- 5,800 bound volumes
- 200 journal titles
- 26 current journal subscriptions
- 850 maps
- 35 atlases
- 3,600 government documents
- 1,500 reprints
In addition, the library houses a complete collection of research products generated by DeFelice Marine Center personnel since LUMCON’s inception.
HOURS OF OPERATION
- The LUMCON Library is staffed Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. All visitors are welcome during these hours.
- The Library is closed to the public on weekends, state holidays, and when the librarian is not on site. Before visiting the facility, please call 985-851-2875 to ensure the Library will be open.
- All LUMCON staff, summer students, and resident visitors have 24-hour access to the Library. If the doors to the Library are locked, the security guard will open them for you.
- Books can be checked out by filling out a card at the circulation desk. The length of time a book can be checked out varies depending on the patron’s status. Books may be renewed by contacting the department, but all items are subject to recall at any time.
- Interlibrary loan service is available for LUMCON faculty, postdocs, lab personnel, and summer students. Although we strive to get items at no charge, the patron may be asked to pay for interlibrary loan charges under certain circumstances.
- Reserve items, reference materials, and journals must remain in the Library. The Library has no photocopier, but copies or scans can be made in the LUMCON main office.
- All materials must be checked out before removal from the Library, without exception.
- Library materials can be placed on reserve for summer classes. A list of items to be placed on reserve should be provided to the librarian as soon as possible.
- When returning material that has been checked out, please drop off items at the circulation counter.
Food is not allowed in the Library under any circumstance. Drinks are only allowed with prior approval by the librarian or the security guard.