- For instructors, LUMCON is a unique facility for a variety of field trips to supplement lecture topics.
- For students, LUMCON offers university courses throughout the year and hands-on field opportunities for learning. LUMCON has video conferencing capabilities to broadcast courses, seminars, and lectures to classrooms across the state and country.
- For researchers, LUMCON provides dormitory facilities, vessels, and lab space for research in nearby habitats.
REU PROGRAM AND INTERNSHIPS
The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program has been sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and other grant-funding organizations. Students attending university in the fall semester are eligible to spend 10 weeks at LUMCON during the summer conducting research and learning about careers in the sciences. All experiences are customized based on the applicant and the mentor that they are paired with. For example, past REU students have had projects focusing on shrimp respiration, deep-sea community composition, and coastal nitrogen cycling. Visit our REU webpage or contact our REU Director for more information about our REU program.
Students are also welcome to pursue internships at LUMCON during the academic school year and outside of the REU program. Students should contact DeFelice Center Faculty or the LUMCON Librarian directly to inquire about research and information sciences opportunities.
- For Changing Coastal Oceans (spring 2019) course information, click here. For the syllabus, click here.
- LUMCON offers a variety of summer courses for university students taught by DeFelice Marine Center Faculty and instructors from consortium member universities.
- Courses are focused on relevant marine science topics and address current issues specific to coastal Louisiana and the Gulf or Mexico. Courses last 3 weeks and can be taken for 3 credit hours.
- The cost of each course is $2700/student/course (includes the cost of meals & lodging, course materials, and activities)
For 2019 summer course information, click here.
Field trips to LUMCON are fully customizable and tailored to fit your needs. Field trips can take place year-round and can last anywhere from 4 hours to several days. Activities could include completing research, microscope work, specimen comparison, a nature walk, paddling, an R/V Acadiana trip, and others by request. Contact our Director of Education and Outreach or click here to learn more about a field trip for university students to LUMCON. Click here for information on LUMCON fees and policies.