Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) located in Cocodrie, LA, operates the oceanographic research vessels R/V Pelican, R/V Point Sur is currently accepting applications for a USCG licensed Able-Bodied Seaman. The R/V Pelican is homeported at the LUMCON facility in Cocodrie, LA. and the R/V Point Sur in Gulfport, MS. The AB Seaman is under general supervision of the ship’s captain, performs various functions pertaining to operation and maintenance of the vessel, waterfront maintenance, field work and related lab research projects and serves as wheelman as needed. This position requires extended periods of time at sea.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist Captain/First Mate in operation of the vessel including: steering; maneuvering; electronic, visual piloting and navigation using advanced technology; cargo handling and storage; handling lines, docking and undocking; use of deck machinery including winches, cranes and davits; checking for water‐ tightness and normal machinery operation; launching and operating ship’s small vessel.
- Operate ship’s radio, radar, depth sounders, on‐board computer‐based acquisition system and/or other appropriate equipment and advanced technology, as required.
- Perform various vessel maintenance activities including deck and equipment repairs; cleaning, painting, and lubricating deck machinery, blocks, tackle, and other painted surfaces; making periodic checks on various equipment.
- Perform cleaning and sanitation duties including laundry and garbage removal.
Perform various waterfront maintenance tasks including dock cleaning and maintenance.
- Assist in fieldwork sampling activities including oceanographic research work and repair of sampling equipment.
- Participate in ongoing research projects as necessary.
- Perform related duties, as assigned.
MINIMUM ACCEPTED QUALIFICATIONS
- High school graduation and three years of experience in vessel operations.
- USCG Licensed AB with STCW95.• Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job including heavy lifting with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
- Must live within a 2-hour drive from LUMCON dock in Cocodrie, LA.
- Ability to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment, as necessary.
- Must pass drug and alcohol screening tests as mandated by Department of Transportation agency regulations.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Courses or degree in Marine Sciences or related field.
DURATION AND START DATE
The position is available immediately.
Commensurate upon experience
APPLICATION OR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE POSITION
Contact LUMCON’s Marine Vessel Operations:
Office: (985) 851-2808 or (985) 8511-2813
Email: email@example.com (Marine Superintendent) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Port Captain)