Review of applications will continue until the position is filled
LUMCON, a program of the Board of Regents, as a consortium is a statewide academic endeavor to focus and strengthen the effectiveness of foundational marine science needed to address the environmental and socioeconomic challenges facing Louisiana and the nation.
LUMCON has provided unparalleled opportunities in marine science and education to the research community and public alike. Anchored by a first-rate marine laboratory, the DeFelice Marine Center, LUMCON is embedded in Louisiana’s dynamic wetland environment and conveniently located on a gateway to the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico. From this facility, LUMCON operates a world-class fleet of research vessels unmatched in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Maintenance Assistant responds to assigned departmental maintenance needs and is responsible for the execution of repairs or replacement of affected equipment as assigned. The Maintenance Assistant must be familiar with a wide range of crafts including, but not limited to, landscaping, plumbing, painting, and carpentry. The Maintenance Assistant uses hand and power tools necessary for mechanical, plumbing, carpentry and painting and other repairs.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 2 years in maintenance experience; must be mechanically inclined including experience working with minimal supervision and multi-tasking.
- Experience using all hand tools and power tools required to properly perform job duties.
- Experience troubleshooting and problem-solving equipment issues.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Basic knowledge of landscaping, painting, plumbing, carpentry and other skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The physical essential functions of this job include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Frequently exerting 10 to 20 pounds of force to move objects; occasionally exerting up to 100 pounds of force. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
IDEAL CANDIDATE/PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• HVAC Experience
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited the following:
- Keeps the grounds free of trash and debris at all times
- Pressure washing buildings and walkways as assigned
- Performs general repairs and troubleshooting
- Performs daily maintenance repairs as assigned
- Utilizes effective judgment and decision making skills when performing job duties
- Performs other duties as assigned including assisting in custodial duties if necessary
- Adheres to policies
- Follows up on completed/current assignments
The position will be based at the DeFelice Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA.
Use this LINK to apply for this position through the LA Careers website.
Questions about the position? Contact
Human Resource/Payroll Specialist
- No Civil Service test score is required in order to be considered for this vacancy.
- This is an unclassified position.
- Applications will be rejected if the applicant fails to meet the minimum qualifications, submits an incomplete application, or fails to apply by the closing date of the announcement.
- Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application listing complete work experience and education.
- Please make every effort to attach a copy of your transcript or any other materials as outlined in the posting to your application if possible.
The Louisiana Board of Regents is a State As a Model Employer (SAME) agency that supports the recruitment, hiring and retention of individuals with disabilities. For more information on employment resources for individuals with disabilities, see the Louisiana Employment Resources Guide at http://www.laworks.net/Downloads/LRS/EmploymentResourceGuide_2018.pdf (Download PDF reader)
Board of Regents is an Equal Opportunity Employer
See other Employment Opportunities