Meet the Fleet is a multi-day public event featuring the flagship vessels of Louisiana’s scientific research fleet. The Research Vessel (R/V) Pelican and the R/V Acadiana, owned and operated by the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON), will be featured and open for public tours given by the vessel’s crew. These two vessels will form the centerpiece of the event while LUMCON scientists and education staff display hands-on activities and provide information about marine research at booths set up dockside.
Come and learn more about Louisiana’s amazing research vessels, marine laboratory, marine science, and how you can become part of it all. LUMCON—The Heart of Louisiana Marine Science.
- Dockside tours of the R/V Pelican
- Hands-on activities by LUMCON Scientists with topics such as. . .
- Deep Sea Ecology
- Coastal Ecosystems
- Plankton and Marsh Invertebrates
- Coastal Geology
- Marine education activities
- Booths by LUMCON members and partners
- Louisiana Sea Grant
- The Waters Institute of the Gulf
- Southern University and A&M College
Science Exhibit Feature:
McClain Deep-Sea Ecology Lab
- Deep-sea invertebrates; including the foreboding 1.5 foot long Bathynomus giganteus or giant isopod
- Remnants of deep-sea wood falls
- Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV)
- Detailed Maps revealing the hidden geology of the deep Gulf of Mexico
- Video footage of rarely seen and newly discovered deep-sea fish and invertebrates
- Video Link at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRm8wr08xsU
Rabalais Research Lab
- Learn about the Gulf of Mexico “Dead Zone”
- See meters used to measure bottom water oxygen
- What is ocean acidification?
- Take a look at tiny animals living in coastal sediments
- Color your own bookmark to take home!
Check back for more events details!
Event Dates: May 19-21, 2017
Event Times: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
Event Location: The City Dock, Downtown Baton Rouge (near the USS Kidd) [Map]